Head, Market Shaping
Created in 2000, Gavi is an international organisation - a global Vaccine Alliance, bringing together public and private sectors with the shared goal of creating equal access to new and underused vaccines for children living in the world’s poorest countries.
The market shaping team contributes to achieving Gavi’s mission by shaping the markets for vaccines and other immunisation products. This includes ensuring adequate and secure supply of quality vaccines; reducing prices of vaccines and other immunisation products to an appropriate and sustainable level; and incentivising development of suitable and quality vaccines and other immunisation products. Guided by the Gavi Supply and Procurement Strategy, the team develops, coordinates, communicates and contributes to the implementation of evidence-based supply and procurement strategies. The team is responsible for Alliance long-term forecasting of demand and pricing. The team both leads and contributes to identifying and finding Alliance solutions for broad questions arising from market-based health-commodity related challenges.
- Achieve the Alliance goal on market shaping (SG4); achieve the goal-level indicators;
- Deliver best value for money on ~70% of Gavi’s annual funding to countries;
- Develop and implement supply and procurement strategies for vaccines and immunisation related products;
- Identify and find solutions to strategic questions related to market-based health commodity challenges;
- Create the atmosphere for having collaborative and productive engagement with Alliance partners, including industry;
- Lead team and develop members to execute strategic and analytic outcomes and maintain positive relationships.
- Identify and execute strategies to manage financial risks toward specific objectives seeking value for money;
- Work collaboratively with Alliance stakeholders to articulate the scope, needs and strategies of market shaping, including evolution of the strategies or operational model, and follow through on implementation activities for which the Gavi Secretariat is accountable;
- Provide leadership on strategic projects on balancing the benefits and risks of market shaping globally;
- Ensure productive relationships with partners, including industry broadly and individual companies;
- Maintain strategic oversight of team work across all work-streams;
- Lead collaborative problem solving of financial and relationship based challenges;
- Represent the market shaping function at a high-level internally and externally;
- Lead partners collaboration toward achieving SG4;
- Secure and manage resources adequate to achieve Gavi’s market shaping objectives;
- Support the Director of Policy and Market Shaping on other initiatives as required in support of Gavis market shaping objectives.
- Minimum of 15 years of professional work experience including:
- Vaccine or pharmaceutical marketing, business development, and customer management;
- Strategic planning / market analysis in a pharmaceutical, consulting and/or healthcare setting;
- Experience identifying and articulating strategic issues, trade-offs and priorities to provide sound advice;
- Team management and talent development;
- Experience in vaccine industry preferred;
- Partner management experience preferred ;
- Developing country experience highly desirable;
- Master’s degree in Economics, Business Administration, Public Health or any relevant fields.
- Demonstrated ability to work across institutional boundaries with various teams, and utilise talent and expertise of team members in a productive way;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and establish harmonious working relationships;
- Ability to work independently, under pressure, demonstrating initiative and flexibility;
- Demonstrated outstanding written communication skills and negotiating skills;
- Results orientation;
- Knowledge of international public health agencies.
- Fluency in English required;
- Fluency in French an asset.